Saturday, December 17, 2005

Be careful what you ask for

Well, actually she did not ask and probably is sorry she ever mentioned it. A few weeks ago my mother in law and I were discussing the comfort/functionality of mittens and gloves. I never wear gloves because my hands just do not get warm. My fingers need to work together to create warmth. Sometimes even my thumbs, seeking warmth, will join my fingers under the mitten. My MIL agreed and added that you lose functionality in a mitten, but the warmth is more important. Then she said that years ago she bought some mittens in a hunting store that she absolutely loved and wore until they had holes in them. I am not sure why this kind, animal loving woman was in such a place but that's off topic. The mittens were part glove in that they had a separate place for the index finger. She said it's amazing how much more mobility you have with your thumb and index finger free. Well...what would you do when someone you love has a need for knitted object that you may be able to satisfy. Exactly! I asked for clarification "you mean the index finger was separated and the remaining 3 fingers were together". When she realized where my mind was going, she quickly changed the subject. But I was intent on recreating this glitten.

So here it is...this freakish looking thing. Do you think she really wants this!?!?! I think NOT. I am going to try to make a few modifications - shorten the cuff, use only 14 stitches for the thumb, shorten the palm, lengthen the index finger and mitten compartments. Then I'll reevaluate. Hopefully it will not look like something that scares small children.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger Patty said...

I'm impressed! Kind of Spock-ish though isn't it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home