Friday, April 14, 2006

Stuck in Knitting Loserville

I know it has been a while since I have posted, but that does not mean I have not been busy knitting. Unfortunately all the objects I have knitted have not worked out as I had hoped. Yep...they are loser objects. But we must blog about the bad as well as the good right?

My husband was asked to be godfather to our newest nephew, Anthony Joseph (AJ). This honor, as all momentous occasions, must be celebrated with a knitted gift.
First I knitted this felted ballcap, which I have successfully knitted for a friend's baby boy before. Result - loser. The wonderful thing about felting is the object can look horrible going into the wash, but then come out wonderful. Unfortunately the reverse is also true. Wonderful going in, horrible coming out. The J really was straight before the hat was felted.





So...then I knitted this basketweave sweater, a pattern that looked great for either a boy or a girl. I picked out a boyish lichen green color in lambspride superwash for AJ's sweater. I was having so much fun knitting with this yarn that I did not notice how the basketweave in this loose a guage is really too frilly for a boy's garment. Result - loser. Sweater design too frilly for a boy. Sweater color too boyish for a girl.
So...I am now working on the Child's Placket Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Is the "third time a charm" or is it "bad things happen in threes"? We shall see.

Welcome AJ! I am your crazy aunt who knits.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Patty said...

Some lucky Mom is going to love getting that green sweater! Can't wait to see how the orange one knits up - might have to enlarge the pattern for DH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home